When organizations or individuals want training, a menu of options is often the easiest way to identify their priorities. This is my menu.
- Evaluate communications structure or programs.
- Evaluate websites from a user/visitor perspective.
- Create a communications plan or strategy.
- Create a message calendar and events program.
- Create a communications team structure and job assignments.
- Develop messages and message delivery discipline.
- Create a style or branding manual or guidance.
- Practical writing for public audiences.
- Internal communications.
- Inter-governmental dialogue or communications.
- Public involvement /outreach.
- Getting key leader or organizational endorsements.
- Event design and planning.
- Presentation or speakers’ training.
- Brochures and material creation.
- Donor relations.
- Internal communications within the government agency.
- Open records policy and procedures for handling information requests.
- Create a customer service policy and process for dealing with citizens or beneficiaries.
- Customer/citizen service policies and process steps.
- Rapid response or crisis communications process.
- Package and pitch story ideas/materials to the media.
- Media releases, advisories, and statements.
- Media briefings for complex topics.
- Speech writing.
- Spokesperson video training with interview techniques.
- Scriptwriting for television and radio.
- Monitoring the media and correcting mistakes.
Social Media Skills
- Website development and content writing.
- E-newsletters for internal or external audiences.
- Social media campaigns, how-to, trends.
- Search optimization, keywords, headings.
- Website usability practices for government websites.
- Video on phones and iMovie editing for social media.
- Simple graphic design for social media (Canva).